Urban Local Bodies – Emissaries Of Urban Development
Municipal corporations are flag bearers of urban reforms and development. In order to undertake projects for the improvement of urban infrastructure and to enhance urban governance in the cities, these corporations rely on their revenue from taxes. Majority of this revenue comes from Property Tax.
In order to ensure that Urban Local Bodies accomplish their purpose it is imperative that revenue collection for the ULBs should be based on a strong and efficient system of assessment and collection of Property Tax.
PTIS: Property Tax Information System By Aarav Solutions
Aarav Solutions supports the Government of Africa in their initiative to improve the Property Tax assessment and collection for the urban local bodies (ULBs). PTIS or the Property Tax Information System is a web application developed by Aarav Solutions to compliment these efforts of the African government. The PTIS is designed to assist both ULBs and citizens to assess property tax based on the laws and by-laws followed by the department.
Across India, several municipal corporations have already benefitted with the use of Aarav Solutions’ Property Tax Information System. Implementation of the PTIS has not only improved the assessment and collection of property tax for municipal corporations in India – but it has also led the way for new initiatives. Ever since PTIS was implemented several innovative practices for property tax collection and administration have been introduced in different departments.
The PTIS by Aarav Solutions facilitates property survey and mapping; this data is then integrated with the web application.
Need for Property Tax Information System
The Property Mapping feature of PTIS by Aarav, helps municipal corporations by digitization of tax records that in turn creates a foundation for a self-sufficient system.
Initially the computerization of Urban Land Bodies involved the digitization of property tax records. However, the update and upkeep of these records posed to be a problem. Another challenge faced by the ULBs was the integration of the digital database with the GIS Property Layers. This hinders quick decision making based on ground realities.
Most ULBs require specialized technical resources to the build and maintain a GIS based property database. To bridge this gap, the ULBs are partnering with service providers to:
- To build and integrate digitized property tax records with GIS Property Layers.
- Maintaining accuracy and efficiency in a comprehensive property database
- Publish the data through a web application accessible to ULBs as well as citizens
- Training of ULB staff to utilize and maintain the database going forward
- Creation of a comprehensive UID based database that is linked with the GIS Base Map – which may serve as a one stop shop for all Property Tax Information needed by ULBs
Noteworthy Features & Benefits of PTIS by Aarav Solutions
- Ease of Use: Interactive, user friendly web application that provides information at the click of a button.
- Rights / Authorization Based Access: Access to the information on the PTIS database maybe limited based on authority, role and privileges of the user. Thus ensuring dissemination of information in the right manner.
- Property Search: The web application also offers the functionality of property search. Search capabilities may also be adjusted as per the level of access.
- Locating the property on GIS based map: Using the PTIS one may access the exact geographical location of the property including details like photographs and UID no.
- Unique Query Module: The query module of the PTIS allows for query as per different taxation zones, assessment of tax for a property and cumulative tax amount for a particular zone or ULB
- Property owners or occupiers may calculate their tax liability, file self-assessment forms, pay taxes and receive an online acknowledgement of their payments through the PTIS.
- Bill – cum – Demand Notice: As per the specifications of the ULB, citizens may view, download and print a PDF version of their bill-cum-demand notice from the PTIS. This will be made possible by linking it to the assessment and search facility of the PTIS web application.
- Comprehensive defaulter list
- Modules to show details of tax assessment
- Online Governance: Residential and dispute settlement modules included.
- Relational information: The ability to compare existing information with the ULB versus the newly collected data to find and correct discrepancies.
- Reporting & Management Information System to be included in the PTIS.